Network marketing is a great business school. Amongst many things, it has taught me some guiding leadership principles that was holding me back.
Interestingly, the very same key learnings can sometimes be mistaken as an excuse which prevents a person from being successful. Sadly, many people are still caught in that delusion and are not able to differentiate.
Here are some that I’d like to share:
- Be kind but not weak. I learned that kindness is not the same as weakness. Kindness isn’t being weak, it’s a strength. I must be kind enough to tell someone the truth. I must be kind and considerate enough to lay it on the line. Being kind, empowers me to tell the pure truth and not jumble it with delusion.
- Be strong but not impolite. Do not make the mistake of perceiving rudeness for strength. It’s not even a good substitute. It is just an extra step I must take to become a powerful and capable leader.
- Be bold but not a bully. It takes boldness to win the day. To build my influence, I have got to walk in front of my team. I have got to be willing to take the first arrow, tackle the problem first, and discover the first signs of trouble. Like the farmer, if I want any rewards at harvest time, I have got to be bold and face the weeds, the rain and the bugs head on. I have got to seize the moment.
- Be humble but not timid. Success is not achieved by remaining timid. Some folks perceive timidity for humility. However, humility is a virtue whilst timidity is a disease. It’s an affliction that can be cured. Nevertheless, timidity is still a problem.
- Be proud but not arrogant. It takes pride to build my ambitions and be proud of my community. I take pride in a cause, and its accomplishment. However, the key to becoming a good leader is to be proud without being arrogant.
- Develop humor without folly. I learned that it’s okay to be witty but not silly; fun but not foolish.
- Deal in reality. Dealing with the truth save myself from the agony of delusion. I must be capable of accepting life as it is. Life is unique. In fact, the whole drama of life is unique even fascinating!